Monday, Sept. 29, 10:38 a.m.
Style & Culture

Oronoka legacy lives on at parties

GROOVIN´ - UMaine graduate student Julie Perrin, an international student from France, enjoys the music and energy from the crowd at the ISA´s Oronoka party Saturday night at the Bounty in Bangor.
sarah bigney

When you turn 18 in the Bangor area, you know that along with your obligations to vote and buy porn, you also have the obligation to never again attend a “chem-free night” at the dance club, the Bounty. It is almost taboo to go after becoming a legal adult because it is well known that only middle-schoolers and sketchy middle-aged men go there to celebrate the weekend.

All of this may change since the International Student Association is once again making it acceptable to attend the Bounty with its regular Oronoka parties. The ISA held its third Oronoka Party of the year this past Saturday night, with an impressive turnout.

The Oronoka parties, traditionally held at the Oronoka restaurant before its closure last year, has now been moved to the Bounty, but yet keeps the same name.

“We tried to keep a tradition; the Oronoka restaurant was the first home of the international party and we wanted to give a tribute to the restaurant,” said Yannick Moutassie, public relations officer for the ISA.

The main aim of the Oronoka parties is to bring together diverse cultures.

“One of the goals of ISA is to bring international and American students together,” Tanya Veleva, ISA President, said. “And it seems that the Oronoka parties have been an effective way to do that so far,”

Shuttles provide rides from campus and back for students without cars or who wish to drink.

The parties provide a fun alternative to a normal weekend night, as the music and atmosphere are much different than usual weekend venues.

“It seems that a lot of students are bored of the usual Ushuaia, Bear Brew or Margaritas Friday and Saturday nights,” Veleva said. “We try to offer an alternative to these options.”

The music features songs from all over the world, giving the party a real international flavor. This past Saturday night’s party featured four DJs from various countries around the world, including Cameroon, Greece and Brazil.

There is a $5 cover charge and drinks can be bought by people of legal age. The proceeds from the parties go to the ISA’s financial account and helps fund other ISA-sponsored events.

“We put the money aside for other ISA events such as coffee hour, canoe trips and the Bar Harbor trip,” Veleva said.

The next planned Oronoka Party is the graduation party in May also to be held at the Bounty, although due to popular demand there may be one or two more before that.