Sports

Women’s basketball beats New Brunswick

Sophomore forward Corinne Wellington awaits a rebound in the team's exhibition win over the University of New Brunswick.
Amy Brooks

The University of Maine women’s basketball team defeated Canada’s New Brunswick University 77-72 in their final exhibition before the regular season begins.

Aided by a 13-2 run deep into the second half, the Black Bears completed the comeback against the fifth ranked Canadian Interuniversity Sport’s New Brunswick.

The Varsity Reds entered half time with an eight-point lead on 48.5 percent shooting from the field.

The second half brought more defensive intensity from the Black Bears, as they forced 19 turnovers in the 20-minute span, and held the Varsity Reds to 28 points. Sophomore guard Katelyn Vanderhoff spearheaded the defensive unit, compiling six steals in the half to go along with 12 points in the game. She was one of five Black Bears in double figures. Sophomore forward Corinne Wellington and freshman guard Ashleigh Roberts had 16 each to lead the team.

The Black Bears finish up exhibition play going 2-0, with five players in each game scoring in double-digits.

“I like our versatility,” head coach Cindy Blodgett said. “I think it is difficult to defend against five or six players that can score 10 or 15 points a game.”

The Black Bears regular season begins Saturday when they take on Ivy League foe Harvard University at 12 p.m. in Orono.