Sports

Live updates: UMaine wins date with BC for conference title

The University of Maine men’s hockey team will take on Boston College on Saturday night for the Hockey East Conference championship.

A power-play goal by Lewiston native and sophomore forward Mark Anthoine gave UMaine the 4-3 lead about eight minutes into the third period. Just over four minutes into third period, the second goal of the game by BU sophomore forward Matt Nieto tied the game. Junior forward Joey Diamond iced the game with an empty-netter with 28 second left.

Senior defenseman Will O’Neill’s second power-play goal of the period for UMaine off an assist by senior forward Spencer Abbott came toward the end of the second period.

Before, O’Neill’s wrist shot toward the second period’s end with 8:38 left in the second period tied the game up for UMaine. And earlier in the period, just seven seconds into a BU power play, a Nieto goal gave BU the 2-1 lead.

Earlier in the period, Diamond scored a goal after a first period BU goal by junior forward Alex Chiasson.

No. 11 UMaine has beaten No. 5 BU twice in three games played this season.

On Dec. 10, BU stormed the Black Bears at Alfond Arena, winning 5-1 behind two goals from senior forward Corey Trevino, Hockey East’s leading scorer at the time.

But times have changed since then for the Terriers. Trevino was dismissed from the team just one day after that win over the Black Bears after he was arrested and arraigned on sexual assault charges. On Dec. 16, sophomore forward Charlie Coyle left the team for major junior hockey. In January, BU head coach Jack Parker dismissed junior forward Andrew Glass for what he said was a violation of team rules.

Without those players, Maine handled then-No. 2 BU easily in a two-game January series in Boston, winning 4-2 and 3-1 that weekend. Freshman forward John Parker had a goal in each game for UMaine.

Sports Editor Jesse Scardina is in Beantown and his live updates via Twitter are below. Photo Editor Haley Johnston will add photos during our live updates.

If you’re also Tweeting about the game, use the hashtag #mainehockey. We’ll likely retweet you. On TV, NESN is carrying the game. WMEB, UMaine’s student-run radio station, will have the call and stream online.

Loading ...

Feed will update automatically