Sports

UMaine’s Hegarty, Mangene both ink professional deals

Two more University of Maine men’s hockey players have inked professional deals, with junior forward Matt Mangene signing a two-way deal with the Philadelphia Flyers and senior defender Ryan Hegarty signing a one-way contract with the Syracuse Crush, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Anaheim Ducks, who drafted Hegarty in 2008.

Mangene will report to the Flyers AHL affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms.

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation writer Tim Wharnsby reported that Mangene will forgo his senior year of eligibility and sign with Philadelphia. Around 6 p.m. Sunday, Wharnsby tweeted that Mangene has agreed with the Flyers.

Mangene had a breakout season with the Black Bears in 2011-12, scoring 16 goals and adding 18 assists for 34 points.

“[Mangene] has been pursued quite aggressively by several teams in the second half of the season,” UMaine men’s hockey coach Tim Whitehead told the Bangor Daily News. “There were [about] a dozen teams.”

“I would like to thank the coaching staff, my teammates and the fans for the last three years at Maine,” Mangene said in a press release. “It has been the best three years of my life. I am very excited to start my pro career in the Philadelphia Flyers organization.”

Hegarty left the UMaine campus last Thursday and will report to Syracuse for the rest of the season.

“I’m going to sign with them for the rest of the season and, hopefully, I’ll sign with them again for next year,” Hegarty told the BDN. “This year prepared me well for what’s ahead. I found my niche and want to carry that on to the next level.”

Hegarty excelled as a true defender and had a formidable partnership with junior defender Mark Nemec. At 21, he’s coming off his best year as a Black Bear, scoring two goals and adding 12 assists in 40 games.