Monday, April 14, 11:57 a.m.

Popular club Curva closed, building up for sale

Christie Edwards

Orono hotspot Curva Ultra Lounge, a popular club among college students, closed its doors on May 21 and the building is now up for sale.

Since opening in 2010, Curva has been a highlight of local nightlife, hosting discounted drink nights, ladies’ nights, holiday parties, foam parties and music from various DJs and acts like Paranoid Social Club, Lazerdisk Party Sex and The Wu-Tang Clan’s Inspectah Deck.

Despite the popularity of the club, there are ongoing issues between the landlord, FPI Inc., and Curva’s former owners — issues that may lead to litigation.

When asked why Curva closed, Boulos Real Estate Broker Charles Day said, “changing business interests led to nonpayment of rent, the cause for eviction.”

In response to eviction being the cause, however, previous general manager Kory Tibbetts said, “Curva was never evicted.”

Company attorney Eric Maynord said that “concerns about environmental issues and accounting between funds with the landlord” caused Curva to close.

“I believe the staff of Curva are as sad and surprised about the closing in the same composite of the students in the area,” Tibbetts said.

Boulos Company Brokerage Services listed resale of the building at $1.5 million. The company continues speaking with several interested parties, but none of the offers make it seem likely that Curva will reopen at 103 Park Street.

Tibbetts now manages Le Casa Gentleman’s Club in Dolby, Maine, and the Curva Live website now links to the La Casa Gentleman’s Club website.

The owners have no plans to relocate or reopen Club Curva, but admit that, “they would love to be open right now.”

Day admits, “A club in Orono only makes sense. As you can see from the events over Labor Day at the Grove prior to the start of classes, the students need a place to congregate and have fun. Without a large club, it is likely that house parties will increase in size and frequency.”

Although Curva’s future seems grim, a sparse Facebook event page created by Curva called “Where [sic] Still Here :) And we are gonna PARTY!” is still active and lists the time of the event as Dec. 22, 2012 from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. The page shows no venue and the description reads, “Details to Come :).” This page may be a forgotten artifact from when Curva was still open, but the fact that it is still up may lead to speculation about a comeback for the club.