Wednesday, Dec. 17, 10:39 a.m.

Online exclusive: Interview with Ben Vereen

Multi-faceted entertainer will perform one-man show at CCA on Saturday

Courtesy photo

Tony Award-winning and Emmy-nominated entertainer Ben Vereen has done a lot of things in his long career, but most recently, the ever-positive actor, singer and dancer took time to talk to The Maine Campus about his interesting life, how he’s dealt with his diabetes and “Steppin’ Out with Ben Vereen,” a touring one-man show that will stop at the Collins Center for the Arts on Sept. 29 at 8 p.m.

Ben Vereen: King Derrick! Ah, wow! Nice to be talking to you, my king.

Derrick Rossignol for The Maine Campus: It’s nice to meet you, too. How are you doing?

BV: I’m doing fantastic. I’m so looking forward to coming up to Maine.

MEC: And we look forward to having you.

BV: So what would you like to know? What can I tell you about?

MEC: You’ve been performing in some capacity for basically your entire life, so what’s it been like watching entertainment change over the course of your career?

BV: Everything changes; it’s the way of life. It’s called evolution. So this business has changed, of course, and I’ve been blessed … and I thank my audiences for this, all my lovely audiences there in Maine, for allowing me the privilege of carrying on in this journey and watching this evolution as we watch things change. Things are different in the ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, ’90s and now the 2000s … we have as a people … we have as a people been through this change. Now, we watch video. When it first began, there was no video. Now there’s video, now there’s iPads, now there’s iPhones. There are these things that have evolved that you … how old are you, my king?

MEC: I’m 20 years old.

BV: 20 years old, you’re a puppy. [laughs] But look at all the things that your life will see. It’s the same thing with me when I was 20. When I was 20, I was just getting out of school, I was just in my first production, and I’ve watched as, my God, we’ve gone to space! We’ve gone to so many places as a people and this business has changed miraculously. Look, when I was growing up, when I was 20, there were only three or four channels on TV. Now there’s 5000. [laughs] Now we got plasma TVs, now you can watch TV in your hand. My God! [laughs]

We’re a closer nation … we’re a closer world than we were then. In those days, they had a show called “Star Trek,” all right? And Captain Kirk would stand and the door would open. Nobody ever thought we’d be able to walk in the grocery store and the door would just be wide open for us, but today we do. In those days they had a flip phone and he’d say, “Beam me up, Scottie.” Today, we have cell phones in our hands. [laughs] It’s a wonderful life, son. It’s a beautiful human mind that has the ability to manifest that which it visualizes. There’s something within us all that keeps is reaching and evolving and evolving and evolving and evolving. How are you doing in school?

MEC: Ah, you know, I’m getting by.

BV: No no, you’re not getting by: you are by. You’re just there to relearn what you already know, and what you’re doing by writing in the paper … you’re sending out the evolutionary changes that are going to touch people’s lives. You’re not just writing for a paper because somebody will take that paper and they’ll go to another place and they’ll keep it and then somebody later on in time will pick up the paper and read the article that you’re writing today. Look at that.

MEC:Well, that’s a bigger scope than I’ve ever thought of it in, I guess.

BV: Yeah, son! You are in a fabulous place of creativity. Don’t deny yourself; you are a being of light. A lot of people, not just on the campus — it goes beyond the campus … somebody’s going to hold onto this paper, and it will be read many years from now. Wherever you go in your life, you will take this life with you. It’s beautiful, it’s beautiful.

MEC: You’ve done Broadway, movies, TV, you’ve sang, so do you have a favorite kind of work that you do?

BV: It’s called employment. [laughs] I love what I do, and I thank my audiences for allowing me to give them the light that they are themselves. I’m just a reflection of them, I like to think, and I’m so thankful. I’m in gratitude, and gratitude is a lovely place to be, son. My king, as long as you stay in gratitude, the universe sees your gratitude and gives you more, and I’m so thankful. I love every aspect of what I have the privilege and the honor to be a part of. I love the stage. I love TV. I love films. I love recordings. I love speaking. I love just being … in service. That’s what we’re doing, you and I: we’re in service to the public.

MEC: So over the course of your long and varied career, you’ve been on shows like “The Carol Burnett Show,” “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” …

BV: Wow, you did your homework. [laughs] I’m sorry, go ahead.

MEC: Oh, yeah. So being on these shows, you’ve worked with a bunch of great people, so who are some of the favorite people you’ve had the pleasure of working with?

BV: Oh, you’ve mentioned them: Carol Burnett, Sammy Davis, Jr. … The show that I’m doing, I pay tribute to those who have helped me along my way, and the show is sort of a precursor to a bigger show I’m doing called “Last of the Showmen” — [a soon-to-be-released “docu-musical” that chronicles Vereen’s life] — where I pay tribute to all of the people who have come along and touched my life.

My God, Jackie Gleason. My God, Carol Burnett. My God, you mention them, I’ve been there. I did a show with Milton Berle … Milton Berle! “Mr. TV” who gave us TV from the very beginning. He was the first variety act on TV; he was my opening act. Joan Rivers, she was one of my opening acts. I’ve been in the presence of … oh God, what’s his name? There’s so many! [laughs] I was in the audience of Charlie Chaplin. You see how special this journey has been? I have shook the hands of kings and queens and duchesses and you name it. It’s been an amazing journey.

MEC: It sounds amazing.

BV: Oh, it’s been amazing, it’s been unbelievable. My book’s going to be a best seller, I know it. [laughs]

MEC:As part of this amazing journey you’ve been on, during a darker portion of it, you were diagnosed with diabetes in 2007 …

BV: I have to stop you right there. It’s not a darkness: it was an awakening. You see, a lot of people look at diabetes — and you’re right — as a dark period, and it is a dark period for those who do not awaken to their truth. When I was diagnosed with diabetes in ’07, I went through the same thing, my king.

I was going through the same thing, going, “Oh my God, my life is not going to be the same, how am I going to live with diabetes? Oh my God, I have diabetes, they’re going to take my leg, they’re going to take my liver. What do I do, what do I do? I spoke to my doctor and said, “What am I going to do?” He said, “You can handle this,” and I said, “What do you mean? It’s diabetes, it’s a killer, a disease…” and he says, “You have control over this.” He said, “All you got to do is take your medication.” They put me on insulin. Then he said, “All you got to do is exercise and watch your eating habits.” I said, “That’s it?” and he said, “Yeah.”

So I called a company called [Sanofi-Aventis] and I said, “Listen: I have diabetes and I want to tell people the good news about diabetes. They’re not suffering with diabetes: they’re living with diabetes. You don’t have a challenge: you have an opportunity for better health. Diabetes saved my life. It made me aware of … one thing is eating proper. Another is exercising and another is taking my medication as long as I’m on medication.

You see: the wonderful thing is that it evolves, and you have a greater and a better life and a wonderful way to shine your light for other people who are living with diabetes to see. And we’ve got to let people know: yes, I live with diabetes. We’re so quick to hide and not talk about it because it’s a shameful thing … no! No, you are an example of the most high because you are living with something society says is a killer, but no, you’re living! If you don’t do the right things, yes: you’ll have amputees, you’ll have heart failures, you’ll have those sorts of ugly things.

But if you do the right things, if you work with somebody … work with your doctor. You don’t have to sit in front of that TV all night: get up and walk around the block! You don’t have to sit down at the table and eat the whole cake: you can eat a slice of the cake and say, “Hmm, that tastes pretty good.” You don’t have to drink all that sugar: drink some water. [laughs] See? It’s easy. And that way, we’ve pushed the darkness of diabetes away and we begin to live in the light.

MEC: You know: that’s a very positive and beautiful outlook you have on that, it’s really nice.

BV: You know something? It beats the alternative.

MEC: Definitely. So now, to talk about the show that you’re going to be doing here, I know it’s a one-man show, but what sort of things are you going to be doing on stage?

BV: Well, as I said, I’m paying tribute to those who’ve helped me along in my career. I’ve had the chance of being in their shadow. People like Sammy Davis, Jr., Frank Sinatra, Tom O’Horgan. So it’s an evening of that. It’s a precursor, as I said, to a show called “Last of the Showmen.” I’m bringing four fabulous musicians who are amazing, and we’re going to have a good time, so to all the people, come on out and have a … good … time.

I’m thankful to my audience because one: I’m not on a hit TV show. I’m on “How I Met Your Mother,” yes, but that’s not a current show [of mine]. I don’t have a hit record like my godson Usher. He’s out there singing and he’s got thousands of people coming to him, but my audiences come out to see me and I give praise and honor to them. So the show is dedicated to them.

MEC: So how long have you been touring this show and how has it been received?

BV: They’ve been fantastic and I’ve taken the show all over. I’ve been to Hawaii, I’ve taken it to Australia, I’ve gone across the United States, developing it and shaping it and shaping it and shaping it, and boom: here it comes. Boom, here it is! [laughs]

MEC: Have you ever played in Maine before?

BV: I’m sure I have in one lifetime or another.

MEC: I’m out of questions, so I just want to thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

BV: Oh, I appreciate you, my king. You have a blessed day and I look forward to meeting you and seeing that wonderful energy that you have for the universe.

MEC: Thank you very much.

BV: OK, my king. Have a blessed day, bye.

Ben Vereen will take the CCA stage for “Steppin’ Out with Ben Vereen” on Sept. 29. Tickets are available from the CCA box office on online at collinscenterforthearts.com.