Monday, April 14, 11:57 a.m.

Senior nursing student Buxton dead due to ‘sudden illness’

Amy Libby Buxton, 26, died at Maine Medical Center on Dec. 6

Facebook

Senior nursing student Amy Libby Buxton, 26, died Thursday at Maine Medical Center in Portland due to “a sudden illness,” according to a message posted on Dec. 6 via FirstClass by Dean of Students Dr. Robert Dana.

Buxton, a native of Augusta, volunteered at Almost Home Rescue, a Maine-based “all-breed canine rescue group dedicated to saving lives and finding homes for stray, abandoned & surrendered dogs in high kill shelters,” according to its Twitter profile.

Buxton, a 2005 graduate of Cony High School, was preparing to graduate this month with a nursing degree. Her mother, Ann Buxton, will accept her nursing pin, according to Buxton’s obituary in the Kennebec Journal.

According to Emily Barnes, a senior nursing student who had a number of the same classes with Buxton dating back to their sophomore year, Buxton was a “very nice girl.”

“She was the type of person that would do anything for anyone,” Barnes said. “She was selfless, compassionate, friendly.”

Barnes also knew of Buxton’s love for animals.

“She was a foster parent for dogs,” Barnes said. “She loved helping out, and she was someone who you could have a long conversation with, even if you had just met her.”

Barnes said that she and Buxton had a class together on Wednesdays and that Buxton wasn’t there last week. Barnes recalled seeing Buxton in class following Thanksgiving and said that she didn’t notice anything wrong with her. According to Barnes, she was helping a friend find her dog that had run away.

“She was helping my close friend who lost her dog,” Barnes said. “Buxton was very adamant about helping her find her dog. She was giving her names to various dog-tracking places.”

Family members have invited anyone whose life has been touched by Buxton to attend her memorial Wednesday, Dec. 12 at 11 a.m. at South Parish Congregational Church, United Church of Christ in Augusta.

The family also asks that in lieu of flowers, please send all donations in Buxton’s memory to Almost Home Rescue, P.O. Box 9421 #377, So. Portland, ME 04116.

Any students who may have been affected by this event and are in need of counseling can contact the UMaine Counseling Center at 581-1392. Faculty and staff counselors can be reached through the Employee Assistance Program at 581-4014.