The University of Maine student newspaper since 1875
Sunday, April 19, 11:08 p.m.

UMaine men’s hockey, Boston University skate to 3-3 tie

Game-winning, third period goal by UMaine's Shore disallowed because of goalie interference

University of Maine freshman forward Devin Shore looked like he had a game-winning goal in the third period, but the goal was waved off after a review determined that fellow freshman forward Ryan Lomberg interfered with Boston University goaltender Matt O’Connor as UMaine and BU tied 3-3.

“It was a crazy game. I really like how we fought back and took the lead,” said UMaine head coach Tim Whitehead. “This game had a little bit of everything, the crowd was into it, both goalies made great saves, a lot of physical play, but I really just wish we had two points.”

“There was a lot of contact and traffic in front. A lot of players were in the crease. It was a judgment call and it was nice to have this one go my way,” O’Connor said.

After a relatively quiet start of the game, BU went on the offensive and put two goals past UMaine goaltender Martin Ouellette 10 seconds apart.

With 8:48 expired in the first period, Terrier forward Evan Rodrigues assisted fellow forward Matt Nieto in scoring his eighth goal of the season to put BU up 1-0.

On the ensuing faceoff, the Black Bears turned the puck over in their own zone and BU wasted no time taking advantage of the stolen puck. BU forward Cason Hohmann assisted forward Wade Megan to put the Terriers up 2-0.

UMaine went on the power play twice in the first period and used their second opportunity to cut into the BU lead. With 17:47 played in the first period, BU forward Sam Kurker committed a hooking penalty to set up a five on four. Shore assisted Lomberg 49 seconds later to help the Black Bears to within one of the Terriers.

BU forward Matt Lane’s tripping penalty at the end of the period gave UMaine a power-play opportunity to start the second period, and would mark the opening of the Black Bear’s offensive flood gates and BU’s discipline problems.

Just over a minute into the second period, Swavely scored his second power-play goal of the game after being assisted by the team leaders in assists and and goals Devin Shore and Joey Diamond, respectively to tie the game at 2 goals apiece.

“We always like to get a point but at the end of the day, two points is always better,” Swavely said. “Just getting pucks in the net. Things happen once you start shooting more pucks towards the net. It’s a huge monkey off my back to get that monkey off my back. I feel the way we played was really good.”

UMaine defenseman Mark Nemec and Kurker made the game a four-on-four matchup only a couple minutes after Swavely’s goal, and Megan made it a four-on-three advantage for the Black Bears 4:53 into the second period after being called for a roughing penalty that resulted in a double minor.

Diamond scored his 11th goal of the season with Swavely returning the favor with the assist alongside Shore to put the Black Bears up 3-2 5:27 into the second period.

“Their power play goals, we had different players break down but it was the same exact mistake made both times,” Parker said.

After being out-shot 13-11 in the first period, UMaine allowed only four Terrier shots on goal while recording 12 of their own, most coming while on a power play during one of four BU penalties in the period.

After three unanswered goals by the Black Bears, the Terriers used a power play goal of their own to knot the game up.

UMaine forward Bill Norman provided BU a five on four advantage by being called for slashing 6:13 into the third period. BU sophomore forward Evan Rodrigues tallied his second assist of the night alongside Nieto to help defenseman Ahti Oksanen score the equalizer.

Diamond and Shore looked to team up once again late on in the third period when Diamond passed off the puck to Shore who was standing on the right side faceoff circle when he fired the puck past O’Connor with under 7 minutes to play. After a review, the referees waved off what would have been UMaine’s fourth power play goal of the night. It was determined that forward Ryan Lomberg made contact will O’Connor.

“That was tough. Our power play was on all night,” Shore said. “The goal went in, but I respect the decision. It will make the next one that much sweeter.”

The score remained 3-3 at the end of regulation as UMaine went into a scenario they have seen time and time again this year: Falling behind early, catching up, and not getting a game winning goal.

BU forward Ben Rosen came the closest to scoring with 45 seconds to play in overtime, as the game ended in a 3-3 tie.

“I like the way we started, I like the way we finished, and I like the way we competed,” said Parker. “I didn’t like the penalties, especially in the second period. But I will take the one point for sure. They played well. We took a step in the right direction after almost shooting ourselves in the foot.”

UMaine and BU will square off again Saturday night for the second game of their weekend series at 7 p.m. in the Alfond Arena.