Monday, Sept. 15, 10:41 a.m.
Style & Culture

Capital Cities to play CCA night before Maine Day

Courtey

The Maine Campus is giving away two tickets to the Capital Cities concert to one lucky winner. The contest will be closed on Monday, February 24 at 11:59 p.m. and the winner will be announced on Tuesday, February 25. Find out how to enter the drawing on our Facebook page.

On Monday, University of Maine Student Entertainment announced that on April 29, they will provide a high-octane lead-in to Maine Day: pop duo Capital Cities will perform at the Collins Center for the Arts, with featured guests Scavenger Hunt.

The Los Angeles-based group have been active since 2008 and saw their first mainstream success with the hit 2011 single “Safe and Sound,” which reached No. 8 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2013 and has sold over 2 million copies in the United States. The official video for the song has nearly 75 million views on YouTube.

“It’s a big deal,” said Patrick Fortier-Brown, vice president of Student Entertainment. “Capital Cities are obviously a pretty popular act and don’t think they’re going to cease to impress everybody who goes to watch [them].”

UMaine students will have early and discounted access to tickets: student tickets will sell for $20 and go on sale Tuesday, February 25. Student tickets must be purchased at the CCA box office and students must present a MaineCard when buying. Tickets for the general public will go on sale March 3 for $25 and will be available in the box office or online at collinscenterforthearts.com.

“There should be a great turnout and students definitely need to buy tickets as soon as they can before they go on sale to the public because I don’t think they’re going to last very long,” Fortier-Brown said.

Los Angeles-based supporting act Scavenger Hunt formed in May 2013 and have independently released two singles.

“They’re an up-and-coming band. They’re very good,” Fortier-Brown said. “They have a good rhythm [and] they sound semi-similar to Capital Cities. [...] They’ll do well in preparing the audience for the big show.”

Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the show begins at 7:30 p.m.