If the internet has taught me one thing, it’s that feminism is bad.

Okay, maybe not entirely bad. Depending on which corner of the internet you pass through, feminism is either loved or hated. Unfortunately, the negative connotations of the word “feminist” seem to outweigh any positive presence it has on the internet. On any given social media, you’ll find anti-feminist arguments and even posts berating individual women for bearing the label. These bashings range from relatively tame to vulgar. They make me pause and ask myself: why? How has a movement, one so inherently innocent, created such fierce opposition?

To be honest, I can’t be too sure. Some believe it is deserved opposition, a by-product that occurs when groups of people try to break down social norms. Others believe that in our current era, feminism is unnecessary and its presence attracts animosity. I personally stand against both of those ideas. Feminism continues to be a crucial and necessary movement, both in the United States and internationally. Furthermore, I believe that anti-feminist views stem from distorted perceptions of feminism perpetuated online and by certain media outlets.

For many groups, there is a distinct image that comes to mind when they hear the word feminist: an angry, antagonistic woman who abhors all men. The rise of social media has given these more extreme feminists a widespread platform upon which to voice their opinions. Of course, I believe they have every right to exercise their freedom and share their views just as anyone else would. However with their often controversial tactics of activism, they have provoked resentment and anger from those outside of the movement. The censorship-free nature of the internet has lent itself to equally ugly counter-attacks from anti-feminists toward feminist groups. This cycle has led to a publicly conceived notion that all feminists are misandrists. In all capacities, that idea is simply untrue.

This is where the misperceptions come in. Imagine someone in the U.S. with a viewpoint that feminists are all man-haters stumbles upon an article promoting women’s rights in a country with an oppressive regime. They apply their America-centric, anti-feminist logic in a convoluted way to the plight of this country’s women. They disregard the matter of the issue entirely, whether it be anti-acid attack legislation or something as simple as women’s education. They do not care to learn more about or even give any thought to these women. The cycle of ignorance and anti-feminism revolves onward.

On the internet and in mainstream media alike, there must be a change in the discourse surrounding feminism. No longer should there be a battle between the two extremes of misandrists and misogynists. Instead, the conversations should expand and be inclusive as a step toward educating others on women’s rights issues and their significance. As a society, it is important to not paint all feminists with a negative label due to the actions of a small subset of activists. It is even more important to work toward coming together, as feminists and non-feminists alike, to acknowledge the greater state of the world.

We live in a world still plagued by women’s rights abuses, one where tens of millions of girls remain uneducated, where sex trafficking is alive and well and where gender-based discrimination runs rampant. Just because many of these situations have grown better in the U.S. does not mean we can overlook the entire international women’s rights movement. Feminism on a large scale is not something to be discredited as “bad” or “unnecessary.” It is the exact opposite: it is crucial to our progress as a global society.

• Anti-feminist

Hysterical hatred, which is at the core of feminism’s evil ideology, does not progress make.

• TheInternetHatesYouDealWithItLikeAMan

So true, even the author proves it. Let’s rewrite their closing paragraph in reverse…

“We live in a world still plagued by men’s rights abuses, one where tens of millions of boys remain uneducated, where sex trafficking is alive and well and where gender-based discrimination runs rampant. Just because many of these situations have grown better in the U.S. does not mean we can overlook the entire international men’s rights movement. Meninism on a large scale is not something to be discredited as “bad” or “unnecessary.” It is the exact opposite: it is crucial to our progress as a global society.”

Or, perhaps, what a feminists would write if they truly cared about equality… which would just make them an egalitarian.

“We live in a world still plagued by human rights abuses, one where tens of millions of people remain uneducated, where sex trafficking is alive and well and where gender-based discrimination runs rampant. Just because many of these situations have grown better in the U.S. does not mean we can overlook the entire international human rights movement. Feminism on a large scale is not something to be discredited as “bad” or “unnecessary.” It is the exact opposite: it is crucial to our progress as a global society.”

What they actually wrote shows hate and disregard for the disposable male object, the lack of caring or sympathy for half of the human population. Yet they wonder why the world rejects their absurd ideology. As has been said before: If all you meet is jerks then maybe you are the real jerk.

• TheInternetHatesYouDealWithItLikeAMan

Perhaps it’s NOW, one of the largest feminist organizations, opposing shared parenting. Perhaps it’s the ‘Male Tears’ mugs touted by accepted mainstream feminists. Perhaps it’s the acceptance of pedophiles by mainstream feminists. Maybe, just maybe, it’s the lack of equality in the definition of rape, that in the U.S. a woman can legally rape a man by its current definition, she will receive the lesser charge of “sexual assault”. Which brings me to the next matter… that perhaps if the law treated women as equals to men and the disparity in sentencing and application of laws was as harsh on women as it is men we wouldn’t hate feminism for asking for female prisons to be closed completely.

I could go on… and on… and on… because there are soooo many issues where feminism utterly fails at “equality” because women currently get the better deal and if they got real equality they would lose out on benefits they have. Maybe they should share some of the DV/IPV shelters and programs they have with men since men are 46% of the victims but only receive less than 5% of the assistance. How about that STEM field stuff, equality of employment and schooling when women are graduating college in higher numbers than ever and growing, more so than their male peers. Yet no feminist ever asks for equality in undersea welding, oiling rigs, mining, garbage labor, sewage/water treatment, and a host of other dangerous or nasty jobs.

The movement is all about receiving the perks from everything but never having to pay for those perks by taking on the burdens that go with them. Like the draft… it wasn’t an issue for feminists at all until recently when it just might force women to sign up and all of a sudden they are against having a draft at all. MRA’s have been pointing out the disparity of the draft for years but no one cared, suddenly they do?

Yes, the internet hates feminists because the internet fact checks their falsified statistics, shoddy studies, and quoting studies that have been torn apart as entirely false propaganda. Take ‘The Hunting Ground’ as a good example in that it didn’t state the sides of the accused or any of the court evidence that proved them innocent. It was a one sided propaganda piece and only the feminists hailed it because it fit their full of shit narrative.

Yes, the internet hates feminism and feminists because the internet sees it for what it is. Female whining and superiority complexes. If they miraculously started asking for true equality like they say they do and stopped lying to push their one sided narratives it would take the world by storm, but they won’t because that would utterly break all their patriarchy theory, power structures, and institutionalized excuses.

• Dr. Necessitor

“For many groups, there is a distinct image that comes to mind when they hear the word feminist: an angry, antagonistic woman who abhors all men.”

Not for me. A feminist is a someone who claims feminism stands for equality of the sexes while politicking for special privileges. For example, the feminist demand that female rape accusers be called “survivors” in college rape proceedings, which automatically suggests the accused is guilty. And when was the last time feminists actually protested on an issue that affects more men than women? Never. That’s when. Feminism is a toxic belief system more aligned with Scientology than true scholarship.