Police Beat for April 16

On the morning of Wednesday, April 12, 12 cars in the Hilltop parking lot were vandalized with spray paint. There was substantial damage done to all cars. UMPD encourages anyone with information to call (207) 581 4040. There is a reward in place for any information that leads to charges, an arrest or a conviction.

April 5

Sky high

12:15 a.m. – University of Maine Police Department (UMPD) officers on foot detected a strong odor of marijuana on the second floor of York Hall. Upon arrival, officers knocked on the door and first-year student Skylar Yopp answered the door. Officers noted the odor was stronger once inside the room. Yopp handed over a mason jar of marijuana and a glass pipe. She was summoned for possession of a usable amount of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia.

April 6

When smoke hits the fan

11:06 p.m. UMPD officers on foot detected an odor of marijuana on the second floor of Gannett Hall. Officers knocked on the door and were invited in by Jani Johnston and one other student. The window in the room was open, there was a fan and a rolled up towel placed in front of the door. Johnston admitted to smoking and voluntarily handed over a plastic bag with marijuana residue, a small orange glass pipe with marijuana residue, a bong and Orloff Vodka. She was extremely cooperative. Johnston was summoned for possession of a usable amount of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia.

April 9

Time to throw in the towel

9:43 p.m. UMPD officers responded to a Resident Assistant (RA) complaint of marijuana. Officers went to the third floor and knocked on the door of Michael Rogers. In plain view there was a large glass bong, a grinder with 0.22 oz of marijuana and a towel placed in front of the door. He had no medical marijuana card and was extremely cooperative. He was summoned for possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia.

Real eyes realize real lies

11:53 p.m. – UMPD officers responded to an anonymous report on Campus Eyes to an odor of marijuana in York Hall on the third floor. Upon arrival, officers knocked on the door of Jacob Ryan. He answered the door and had bloodshot eyes. There was a mason jar, a glass pipe and a bag of marijuana in plain view. He was summoned for possession of drug paraphernalia.

April 11

A close-shave with the law
11:05 p.m. – UMPD officers approached a non-student in York for drinking beer in the common room. Russell Pakos, a New Jersey Native, was ID’d and served a trespass notice. Officers drove him to the All Town gas station across from campus. Forty-five minutes later, officers spotted Pakos again in the York common room shaving his head. Officers removed the subject, who reported that he was shaving his head so that “officers wouldn’t recognize him.” He was transported to Penobscot County Jail.

Haley Sylvester is from Greenwich, CT and an undergraduate student at the University of Maine. She is studying Management and Marketing with a concentration in International Business and a minor in Professional Writing. She joined the Maine Campus in the spring of 2016 and currently serves as the News Editor.

Be Sociable, Share!
,