With all of the environmental issues that are affecting the United States and the rest of the world, it’s hard not to think about climate change and the damage it has caused and will continue to cause. With the denier-in-chief running the country and gutting all the necessary government agencies in charge of dealing with this issue, I am growing more concerned with our ability to adapt to the things to come. Since climate deniers like President Donald Trump are so steadfast in their belief that man-made climate change is a hoax or conspiracy, those of us who want to better the world through green technology need to try some new arguments for clean energy investment. Maybe entertaining the idea that man-made climate isn’t real may help our arguments to make progress.

Even if the CO2 emissions and other pollution from cars and factories are not creating the greenhouse effect, it still makes no sense to keep these practices. It is hard to deny that pollution is affecting the health of people and the environment. It is well established in the medical field that unnecessary particulates in the air is not healthy. With this knowledge, what is the argument against emissionless cars? The only argument I have seen is that since these cars’ energy is not cleanly produced, they still leave a big carbon footprint. However, that entire argument is predicated on the notion that the electricity for the electric cars comes from coal and natural gas plants. If the entire grid consisted of renewable and safe energy sources, this problem would go away.

It is far more sustainable to utilize renewable resources for energy. Fossil fuels require a process that is millions of years in the making. We use these fuels faster than natural processes can replace them. Simple math tells us that this is not sustainable. Running out of fossil fuels would be catastrophic for geopolitics and it would pave the path to conflict. The only way to prevent this is to transform the entire system across the planet.

The economics for clean energy are also a good reason to pursue these technologies. In terms of jobs, it is clear where the growth is. According to a report by the Natural Resources Defense Council, when you include the work of installing clean energy systems, there are 14 times more jobs in the clean energy sector than the fossil fuel industry.

For individuals and families, investing in clean energy isn’t just the ethical thing to do, it’s the economical thing to do. With the release of technologies like Tesla’s solar roof and battery systems, people can replace their roof with a beautiful slate-like panel system that is comparable to replacing a roof, and it pays itself off in energy production in just a few years. This gives people a cheap solution to be more energy independent and help decrease their carbon footprint. On cost, aesthetics and independence alone, a convincing case can be made without the climate impact.

If we take the proper steps to invest in clean technologies like solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric and nuclear, these can provide us with more than enough energy to power the planet. According to the Land Art Generator Initiative’s research, in the year 2030, if we had enough solar panels in the world that would cover the land area of Spain, we could power the world on that alone.

That may sound big, but if you take Spain’s land area of 195,364 square miles, divide that by Earth’s 196.9 million square mile area, and multiply that by 100, you get a total of .0992 percent of the Earth needing to be covered with solar panels. That alone would power the world. Then with other technologies, the world could run at an energy surplus. The entire planet would have an excess of energy. This would drop prices. It could even be argued that if there is no scarcity, we don’t need to put a price on it. There is no way the demand could make a dent into the supply.

Perhaps with reasons like this, we can convince people to invest in the clean energy future. In terms of health, international relations and economics, there are more than enough reasons to believe in the implementation of these technologies. Even if people doubt the science of climate change, these arguments are hard to beat in terms of their benefits to humanity.

• Don Quixote

While it is very good for us to imagine a world in which there can be no use of fossil fuels, it MUST be noted that we would not be in the place we are in technology, medicine, energy, prosperity or any of the modern ways we live our life without fossil fuels. We would still be living in a world like we were in the 1800’s, burning wood (if there was any left) traveling by stagecoach and horse and buggy, living on what we could grow in our own fields, having limited communication with the outside world and the list goes on and on. We can not deny that our new world we have created depends on POWER, power that can NOT be derived by anything short of fossil fuels and adding nuclear and hydro for constant, reliable, baseload power. Wind and solar are feckless and rarely there when you need them. It would take more solar panels and wind turbines than we have ground to spare for them. And the enviros call for STORAGE. Anybody know how long these extremely expensive storage units cost? Anybody know of the extremely hazardous job it is to extract lithium and those other elements needed to make them is? Anyone know how extremely explosive they are if they get wet? Anyone think about the fact that these rare earth elements are really in short supply, a lot shorter supply than fossil fuels. And they are controlled by a very few countries that are not always very friendly with us.
    While it is fine to talk like Pollyanna and believe that everything will be good if we can only do away with fossil fuels the world will be a cleaner safer place, reality is that we would be returning to historic times and forced to live without technology. The real deniers are those that believe this nonsense.

• Don Quixote

While it is very good for us to imagine a world in which there can be no use of fossil fuels, it MUST be noted that we would not be in the place we are in technology, medicine, energy, prosperity or any of the modern ways we live our life without fossil fuels. We would still be living in a world like we were in the 1800’s, burning wood (if there was any left) traveling by stagecoach and horse and buggy, living on what we could grow in our own fields, having limited communication with the outside world and the list goes on and on. We can not deny that our new world we have created depends on POWER, power that can NOT be derived by anything short of fossil fuels and adding nuclear and hydro for constant, reliable, baseload power. Wind and solar are feckless and rarely there when you need them. It would take more solar panels and wind turbines than we have ground to spare for them. And the enviros call for STORAGE. Anybody know how much these extremely expensive storage units cost or how long they last? Anybody know of the extremely hazardous job it is to extract lithium and those other elements needed to make them is? Anyone know how extremely explosive they are if they get wet? Anyone think about the fact that these rare earth elements are really in short supply, a lot shorter supply than fossil fuels. And they are controlled by a very few countries that are not always very friendly with us.
    While it is fine to talk like Pollyanna and believe that everything will be good if we can only do away with fossil fuels the world will be a cleaner safer place, reality is that we would be returning to historic times and forced to live without technology.
    The real deniers are those that believe this nonsense.